To eat breakfast like an Italian, you only have to follow these simple guidelines:
1. Find the neighborhood bar.
2. Order the coffee of your choice and a baked good.
3. Remain standing at the bar while drinking your coffee and eating your cornetto.
With the COVID-19 quarantine still in progress, all bars in Italy are closed at this moment. Luckily the “A Casa” bar is always open so why not take a few slices of Lucia’s two colored Nutella roll, pour yourself a nice cup of coffee and enjoy breakfast while reading a newspaper?
Thank you Lucia for sharing one of your breakfast recipes with us!
Two color Nutella roll
- 300 grams of eggs
- 140 grams of sugar
- 10 grams of honey
- 25 grams of potato starch
- 110 grams of flour
- 15 grams of cocoa powder
- 300 grams of Nutella
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Whip the egg whites with 100 grams of sugar.
- In another bowl, whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar and honey.
- Add the stiff egg whites to the cream obtained with the yolks, from top to bottom.
- Combine 95 grams of the flour with the potato starch and add to the egg mixture little by little, mix well mixing gently.
- Pour half of the mixture into another cup and add the remaining flour in one and the cocoa in the other.
- Butter a 30 cm x 50 cm rectangular cake pan, cover it with parchment paper and pour the dark cocoa mixture into it. Level well and bake in a static oven at 200 ° C for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and pour the light mixture on top of the dark layer, level it quickly and put it back in the oven at 200 ° C for another 4 minutes.
- Once the two-colored biscuit is out of the oven, remove from the pan with all the parchment paper, and while still hot, wrap it on itself on the longer side. Wrap the biscuit with plastic wrap in order to better maintain the shape and keep the moisture that will keep it soft and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cool, unroll the roll, remove the parchment paper and cover it with a light layer of nutella. Leave a margin of about 1 1/2 cm from the edges and roll again without squeezing too much, to not let come out the nutella.
- Wrap the roll well with plastic wrap, seal the ends and leave to firm in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
Will your breakfast be the next one?